©2019 by Big Tree Digital.

optimise content to nurture website visitors and built trust pre-conversion

content must be clear for users with varying scientific knowledge. Multi-device compatibility.

target long-tail keywords and intelligent markup for featured snippets

Research

I was tasked with improving lead conversion and boosting search visibility on our new website. I knew from previous experience that content plays a good role in nurturing customers and increasing a website's domain authority.

To establish what content would suit our target demographic, I repurposed existing user personas to flesh out preferences. I continue to monitor and update these and I am now working on new personas for the Mining, Cement and Steel industries.

Strategy

After some competitor research, use of tools like Hubspot, Google Analytics and Hotjar and a marketing preference survey, I identified educational content as a feasible opportunity. Top competitors were using clunky language, poor HTML markup and dated drawings/videos.

So I felt clearer, subedited language and markup would make the material easy to digest and easy for search engines to crawl. I also felt animations would add a novelty edge over competitors. This would hopefully increase session time for SEO and better engage with users for lead nurturing.

Getting started

After using Moz Pro and Google Analytics to identify which topics to prioritise, I wrote a broad content plan.

 

I liaised with scientist colleagues on topics and we wrote skeleton articles, including the sketching and prototyping of animated diagrams. 

Iterative design process

  1. Plan article structure on paper.

  2. Liaise, write and subedit full article text with scientists.

  3. Sketch and design low fidelity diagrams on paper, high fidelity concepts on Affinity Designer, then animate on Codepen.

  4. Compile articles on a staging server and test browser/devices.

  5. Publish finished article to live server, monitor success metrics.

Obstacles

Internet Explorer makes up roughly 11% of our users. But lots of transitional animations do not work fully in that browser. To alleviate this I stopped using CSS keyframes and focused solely on Javascript, JQuery and GSAP.

I also experienced some .svg layers misaligned in IE. So I placed more emphasis on .png images. 

The outcome

  • CRO: Website conversions increased by 112%.

  • SEO: Organic visitors going to articles rose from 4% to 21% and all organic traffic rose by 84%.

  • UX: Average time on an article by 21%. 

I'm currently working on a new design to better archive the content and improve its discoverability.